Thanks to everyone who came to April’s Loudhailer Acoustic, an eveningful of great music and a lovely audience and vibe. I took the chance to try out an Aviatrix song from the Amy Johnson Song Cycle before we play at Filey Folk Festival at the end of the month. I brought a prop for good luck, you can see the little plane in the photo, a present from Gifford after last summer’s premiere. Rich was out with Dexter and unfortunately missed the first couple of performances. Strawberry Moon were fab and played two lovely new songs. The atmosphere of Candlelight reminded me of a kind of a French Danny Elfman. Ian Martinson opened with his original song, sounded great, then Rich arrived and caught everyone else with his camera. It was lovely to welcome some old friends and we enjoyed super songs from Katy Spencer, John Cox, Dez Allenby, Paul The Prof Sutton, Brian Williams and Andy Bassett-Scott. Here’s Rich’s photos, click and scroll as usual…
The Prof and Brian get their own slide show, you can see how much fun it was…
And the same with Andy, here he is telling a tale or two and entertaining us with his uke
A couple of dates for your diary – coming up – we are delighted to have an awesome line up for our Loudhailer Seaside Special stage as part of Filey Folk Festival again this year, Sat and Sun April 29th and 30th at Filey Masonic Hall. Two afternoons of fabulous live music and a very special headliner – Nick Harper – on the Saturday night. Here’s the line up and more details here
Saturday 29th April 2017 at The Masonic Hall
- 12.00 noon – Doors 0pen
- 1.00 Work in Progress open the show – it’s hard to keep still from the moment they hit the groove right through their feel good set of original and traditional foot stomping bluegrass and up tempo country songs.
- 2.00 pm Gifford Rolfe, Roy Kibbler and Joan Foye – superb northern England songs with a touch of Americana from Gifford and Joan segue into Roy’s astute word-smithery, a mix of fun, politics and observations of life. A whole show within the show.
- 3.00 pm Jim Orwin – superbly crafted songs of life in Hull, from the Boulevard Boys to Gypsyville Girls – classic songwriting at its very best.
- 4. 00 pm Aviatrix – a new collaboration of women perform Amanda Lowe’s Amy Johnson Song Cycle – lush vocal harmonies, autoharp, violin, guitars, mandolin and bass.
- 5.00 pm Close for tea
- 7.00 pm Doors open for Nick Harper “One of the finest guitarists of his generation, his soaring vocal range and propensity for epic song place him somewhere between Rufus Wainright and Jeff Buckley. “Mojo. Plus support from Loudhailer Electric Company (unplugged) “Cutting edge, psychedelic folk music of the highest quality.” Alan Raw, with Tom Robinson on BBC 6 Music.Tickets available online here
Sunday 30th April 2017
- 1.00 pm Doors Open
- 2.00 pm Dez Allenby, Cathy Allenby, Phil Friend, Martin Peirson and Adrian Welham – comprising two original members of the legendary English psychedelic folk trio Forest in session with Phil and Martin, two excellent Yorkshire songwriters. Watch out for interesting songs, striking harmonies and unusual instrumentation
- 3.00 pm Beggars Bridge – ”This is a band of musicians experienced enough to know when to leave spaces for one another. Nothing’s crowded, and everything meshes together perfectly. Very impressive.” R2 magazine
- 4.00 pm Hillbilly Troupe – Trad. Folk, irish, ska and punk with a strong sense of history and tradition, get you dancing, thinking and drinking all at the same time.
- 5.00 pm Close for tea
- 7.00 pm Doors open for a special evening with The Roundtable Collective
- 10.30 Close
Nick Harper, Sat 29th April available online here
The Next Loudhailer Acoustic at The Back Room is Thursday May 4th and Friday June 2nd. Be great to see you there. It’s always great to welcome new people – come along and listen to a fabulous range of acoustic music, quality songwriting and some familiar classics from a host of different performers. Thanks to Paul at The Back Room, a lovely venue.
Loudhailer Acoustic at The Back Room 175a Hallgate, Cottingham HU16 4BB. 7.30 pm £2 entry. If you would like to come and play a couple of songs please contact us to let us know – it’s always great to see new and familiar faces.
Click here for reviews and photos of past Loudhailer Acoustic nights and to find out more.
Click here for a map of how to get to The Back Room
Look forward to seeing you!
Rich and Lou Duffy-Howard – Visit our Home Page